Saturday, 3 September 2011

Leg 1 to Rio

Leg 1 is made up of two races - Solent to Madeira, and Madeira to Rio.

Welcome to Yorkshire came 6th on the race to Madeira - a good result for the first race when everyone is settling in to ocean racing.

The longer race to Rio of over 4,000 miles is still going on as I write this, but the first five boats are in, with Welcome to Yorkshire coming second. This is a great result and Rupert, our skipper, has emailed the 'left behind' team to let us know just how pleased he is with his crew. We are going to have a lot to live up to. He says that the things the crew have found hardest to cope with are the physical demands, and the sleep deprivation. I am already a regular at the gym to try and improve my upper body strength, but don't know how I will cope with the sleep problems until it happens.
I have a couple of sailing trips planned before I leave to make sure that I haven't forgotten too much.

Some interesting video clips are here:

Race start from Madeira
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d_ycDp-iiY

Rough weather!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBO2spq_ldk

The first three teams arrive in Rio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkR83vz4_Qo

No comments:

Post a Comment